Frequently Asked Questions

If you have a question which is not answered here, then please contact us.

Course Information
Travel Safety Advice

Course Information

  • Do you offer Virtual Training?

    Although we prefer face to face (in-person) training, we also offer a virtual (on-line course) delivered via Zoom or Teams.

    As always, we are flexible in our approach, the course is broken down into short sessions or can be conducted on a one-to-one basis. This approach gives companies the flexibilty to continue their travel safety training remotely.

    The training course is around four hour to six hours and we can adjust timings and content depending on specific needs.

    We tailor the safety training programme to the countries travelling to, the experience of the traveller and the associated risks.

  • Do you provide training in the workplace?

    This is a very popular and cost efficient option. For the Business Traveller Safety Awareness training, we just need a spacious room with IT projection facilities. The vast majority of our courses are delivered in the workplace.

  • How can I pay for the course?

    The Gap Year course can be booked online via a separate site - The other courses can be paid on invoice.

  • How many students are there per course?

    For the Business Traveller Safety Awareness course, we suggest no more than 12 people. The more people,  the less interactive the course will be.

    For our Virtual (Online) Business Travel Safety Awareness courses, the maximum would be 8 people.

    Our face to face Gap Year courses in London are capped at 12 students.

  • How soon can the courses be delivered?

    We generally need a few weeks notice, longer if it's a two-day plus course.

    We always try to accommodate your requests for training dates where can.

  • I will be going for short travel, do I need training?

    It very much depends where you are travelling to. If in Europe, then probably not, but if travelling abroad to developing countries where road safety, crime and environmental issues are a factor, then yes.

    The range of courses are designed to give you the confidence to stay safe and to make the most of your travels should they be for business or pleasure.

  • What are the aims of the courses?

    Primarily to teach the individual how he or she can stay safe, learn new skills and avoid problems by recognising them early. The course also helps organisations, NGOs, charities, humanitarian aid workers and large corporations, businesses SME's and also academic instituitons (University employees) to deliver their duty of care to employees and partners.

  • What courses do you offer?

    A complete range of training courses, all bespoke. For journalists, reporters and media workers, NGOs and those providing Humanitarian Aid operating in hostile environments, we offer 2 to 5 day length courses. As well as courses for Business Travellers, Crisis Management and Risk Management,  Expeditions and Gap Year adventurers.  For these, our courses are typically either a half or one day.

  • What is the cost?

    Dependent on the course. The one-day course for Gap year Travellers and those on a year out is £175 per person. For the Business Traveller course, we charge a flat fee for the course (not per person) is £950 plus VAT and travel for our in-person course. Our virtual safety awareness training course is £795 plus VAT.

    Contact us for pricing for Crisis Management Training and Corporate Security Training

    The longer Hostile Environment Safety Training courses and Expedition courses including Mongol Rally Expedition training and Leisure and Adventure travel depends on location and numbers attending etc.  Contact us for more details.

  • Where are the courses held?

    A variety of places. Our most popular courses, the half or one-day Business Traveller course is generally held at the client’s own offices. The longer courses, for those going to hostile environments overseas, are held at our training venue in Northamptonshire, UK or at Schloss Hexenagger in Germany.

    The longer courses will include practical exercises, so we need outside areas in order to do medical scenarios and stage vehicle checkpoints etc.

  • Who are Objective Travel Safety?

    We are a specialist, secure company specialising in travel safety. Our clients range from journalists, media workers, NGO's, Humanitarian Aid workers and business travellers, academic institutions (university employees), through to gap year, post-university travellers and backpackers.

  • Who does the training?

    A variety of instructors. For the 5 day Hostile Environment Safety Training course (HEST), sometimes known as HEAT / HEFAT/ HET , we have 4 instructors whilst on the Business Traveller course one instructor is sufficient.

    On our Gap Year Travel and Safety course held in London, we always have a male and female instructor and on the journalist courses, one of instructors will always be an ex or serving journalist.

Travel Safety Advice

  • Do I need a visa when I travel abroad?

    It depends entirely on your nationality and destination countries. Many countries now offer e-visa which makes the process much easier. Do check before travelling.

  • Do I need a visa when I travel abroad?

    It depends entirely on your nationality and destination countries. Many countries now offer e-visa which makes the process much easier. Do check before travelling.

  • How do I check which countries are safe?

    We suggest you seek a variety of opinions; Government travel advice services such as the UK FCDO Travel Advice Services, India’s Ministry of External Affairs or the US Government’s State Department website. Also consider security companies such as Red 24/Ijet, Control Risk/ISOS. However, local advice is often excellent too. The Lonely Planet, Rough Guides or similar guide books can also provide a very good foundation on understand security, historical and cultural issues.

  • What medication I am allowed to take when I am travelling abroad?

    It’s relatively easy to check online. For prescription medication, it's advisable to get a doctor’s explanation. Some drugs are banned in some countries, such as Codeine/Co-codamol in UAE.

  • What should I do if I get sick whilst travelling?

    Our general advice is to see a local doctor, they will recognise the local lurgies! If you are in a Malaria area and you have flu-like symptoms, go to a doctor or hospital immediately to get a Malaria test. It can be fatal within a day if untreated.

  • What type of currency should I take (Cash, Credit Card)?

    You can never go wrong with US$. Euros are popular in part of North Africa and the Middle East. We recommend always taking some cash as many places, even in more remote parts of Europe, some countries will not take cards. Currency travel money cards such as Caxton, Revolut and Monzo are popular but do check withdrawal restrictions.

  • Which documents should I take with me?

    Passport with visa, if applicable. Do check you have six months validity on the passport or you will probably not be allowed to fly out.

  • Will I need travel injections?

    Again, much depends on locations. The one to check is Yellow Fever as on entry in many western, central and eastern African countries and parts of South America, it is mandatory and on arrival you will need to show your Yellow Fever certificate.

We use cookies to provide you with a better website experience.

More Info I Agree